Sunday, May 1, 2011

I Have Royal Wedding Fever!

In my previous blog post I gave you my thoughts prior to the royal wedding. This time around I will entice you, the reader, with my thoughts after the wedding. We have a new happy couple! On Apr.29, 2011 Kate Middleton and Prince William finally tied the knot after years of being together. The ceremony was celebrated all around the world and took over the media. The wedding was covered by many news stations, television networks and was even streamed through the internet. It was made clear that this was the event of the year.


For people like myself the wedding started at 3 in the morning. I could feel my eyes closing shut but I simply could not miss a single moment. I forced myself to stay awake for the whole procession. It's as if this was a bigger moment for me than it was for the actual couple. Their marriage was more than just a wedding it was like a breath of fresh air from the slew of bad news that has poured into our communities. For myself, personally it had me smiling from ear to ear. Billions of eyes tuned into England to watch the couple exchange vows. I could only imagine the feelings that had been running through their minds. The ride to the church seemed to be taking forever. All the streets were filled with pedestrians cheering and waving to the future husband and wife. They were headed to Westminster Abbey, the church which would hold their royal wedding.

At this point I was falling out of my bed. It was hard to compose oneself with all this anticipation. Finally the moment came, the car had arrived at the church and Kate was going to walk out. All I could say was gorgeous. The secret had been unveiled as the world laid their eyes on Kate's dress. It was a beautiful creation made by Sarah Burton at Alexander McQueen. The fit of her dress was perfection it showed her amazing physique but it was still classy. The dress has long lace sleeves and a deep v cut, and the the train of her dress was just right. She looked like a princess and she did a brilliant job combining the classic style with modern style.

When Kate Middleton walked into the church with her father it finally hit that this was not a dream. It was a surreal feeling. With the choir sing in the background gave me the impression that angels were coming down from heaven. Before Kate and her father finished there four minute walk to the alter Prince William walks out with Prince Harry right beside him. William was careful to make his first glance of Kate a surprise. In my honest opinion they are the perfect match for one another. During the ceremony they would glance at one another, they would smile and giggle. It makes me happy to see them enjoy each other's company. As seen in previous interviews William and Kate seem to reassure one another.

When Kate and William had finally met on the alter it was like complete bliss fell upon the world. A traditional ring bearer was not used in their wedding. Instead they had the rings with them already. The wedding ceremony was attended by close friends and family of both Kate and William. Some of the guests included Elton John and Victoria and David Beckham. The couple had also made their own wedding prayer, which I thought was insightful and appropriate.

"God our Father, we thank you for our families; for the love that we share and for the joy of our marriage.

In the busyness of each day keep our eyes fixed on what is real and important in life and help us to be generous with our time and love and energy.

Strengthened by our union help us to serve and comfort those who suffer. We ask this in the Spirit of Jesus Christ. Amen." (1)

The couple were joyous is exchanging vows and saying their "i will's". As they walked out of the church everyone was exclaiming. Personally, I was jumping up and down in my room. I was excited. I think everyone would be excited knowing that there will be a new king and queen in the future of the monarchy.

You could hear the crowds roaring when the two walked out of the church. After the wedding, Kate and William and the wedding party all headed to Buckingham Palace. There was to be a reception held by Prince Harry and then another reception held by the Queen. They rode on extravagant carriages and waved to the thousands of people on the streets. It was like looking into a scene from Cinderella. Everyone awaited for the kiss on the balcony, it's tradition. If remember correctly when the couple walked out on to the balcony the first thing that Kate said was "wow". Waving to the crowd wasn't cutting it for me and I was rolling in eagerness to see them kiss. When they did kiss the whole crowd went wild. Then a surprise came and they kissed once again. Their kisses will go down in history because no other couple ever kissed twice on that balcony.

It is clear to see that I have been entranced by the royal wedding. Maybe it's because the royal wedding reminds me so much of my childhood watching Disney movies. They play true to the concept of a "common girl" falling in love with a prince. I am extremely happy for the both of them and I wish that they do great things. With that I leave you with this glorious video.





1. "Prince William and Catherine Middleton's Prayer." The Royal Wedding. Web. 01 May 2011. < http://www.officialroyalwedding2011.org/blog/2011/April/29/Prince-William-and-Catherine-Middleton-s-Prayer >.

1 comment:

  1. Try as I might to resist, I admit that I too had "Royal Wedding Fever". Perhaps it was my curiosity as to what her McQueen dress would look, the history and tradition of it all, or as you said, maybe it was all the Disney movies that made all of us wake up that early too watch it. But I quite enjoyed it! No one except those two know the realities of being a royal couple (do they really love each other?! who knows...)but it's nice to imagine a little fairy tale for Kate and William. :)

    ReplyDelete